We decided to add vegetarian and gluten-free to the category because of this recipe, and because the cheese we used isn’t vegan. We don’t want to mislead anybody!
So Chantal saw a similar idea to this one on Facebook and she decided to create her own twist on it. She was tired of cooking with pasta and needed to do something different.
You know how kids are: we want pasta, more pasta, pasta again, a side of pasta with my pasta, etc.
This recipe is a slightly healthier way to eat your favorite pasta sauce without the pasta, and all of it stuffed into a vegetable.
The lasagna stuffed peppers were a hit. We really enjoyed it and our middle man loves peppers so it was a win win situation in every way.
For the meat lovers : add sausages, take them out of their wrapper, and cook them in your marinara sauce. You can also replace your marinara sauce by a nice meat sauce or add some bacon with the Romano cheese.
You can create a lot of fun variations with this recipe.
Lasagna Stuffed Peppers
- 4 Bell Peppers (variety the colour for a nice presentation)
- 2½ cups of marinara sauce
- ½ cup of cheddar cheese , grated
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ cup of Romano cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon of spoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Italian sausages
- replace the marinara with meat sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Slice your peppers in half and empty the seeds.
- Put peppers on the baking sheet and put in the over about 12 minutes.
- Drain the peppers and fill each pepper with about ¼ of a cup of marinara sauce.
- Add your cheddar cheese, evenly separate the cheese between the 8 pepper halves, and add about 1 tablespoon of sauce on top.
- Add your mozzarella cheese on top , evenly separated between the 8 pepper halves.
- Bake another 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle on your Romano cheese, salt and pepper, garlic powder and basil, bake on broil for a few minutes – watch them closely so they don’t burn, this is just to achieve a light brown colouring.
- Put them back in the oven for about 12 minutes