Today’s post is about something a little bit exotic that we made. We decided to make horse beef burgers on the grill. Do you think the kids loved it or hated it?
First of all, stop thinking “ewwww”. I know most of you think it because that’s what we thought too. But part of having a food blog is the excitement we feel about trying new food. The meat tasted very, very good. I actually preferred it to normal beef and Chantal loved it as well. It is cleaner, it tastes great and, surprisingly, it is less expensive. Win, win, win!
We topped our horse beef burgers with feta cheese and tomatoes, as well as ketchup. We put garlic, bell pepper and red onion inside of the meat, it was delicious. So, did you think about the kids? Do you think they liked the horse beef burgers or they hated it? They actually enjoyed it quite a lot! Chantal and I kinda cheated though. We didn’t tell them they were eating horse meat because we know them and they are difficult.
Once they were done, we asked, “Do you know what you ate?” , we then told them it was a horse and they were both surprised and quite happy with their new discovery! All in all, we think we will do more stuff with horse beef since it can replace any beef from any recipes. Shepherd’s pie with horse beef? Not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all.
- Ground horse meat – 2.5 lbs
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1 clove of garlic – finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Onion powder
- 1 Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- Feta cheese
- Blue cheese
- Put BBQ sauce, egg white vegetables, garlic and horse meat in a bowl, mix thoroughly.
- Make hamburger patties, makes about 8 large patties.
- Start your grill, once the temp is at about 425-450 F put your patties on the grill, grill about 8-10 minutes per side.
- Serve n a warm hamburger bun with a slice of feta cheese or a blue cheese and enjoy.
NotesRecipe adapted from our friend: Joany Bouchard-Wellman