This is an easy and great tasting main dish that you easily can eat with fries, rice or salads. Absolutely delicious and an added bonus, you get to sip a few gulps of your favorite beer while preparing the chicken!
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken
- 2 Olive Oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ a lemon or lime, juiced
- 1 can of beer
- ¼ red onion
- Your favorite dry spice rub (below is my dry rub)
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon of basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- BBQ Sauce
- Remove neck and giblets from chicken and discard. Rinse chicken with cold water, pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub chicken lightly with oil then rub inside and out with salt, pepper and dry rub. Set aside.
- Open a beer can and take several sips.
- Add the ¼ of the onion chopped in the beer can, with salt and pepper and ½ a juiced lemon or lime.
- Place beer can on a solid surface. Place the chicken on the beer can.
- Put the chicken on the grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can like a tripod. (
- Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat, with the grill cover on,
- Cook for 2 hours and 15 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 175 – 180 degrees F in the breast area
- Until the thigh juice runs clear when poked with a fork or knife.
- Brush on your BBQ sauce during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
If you have any doubts regarding plunking of chicken you can contact us here.